At Lakeland Premier Women's Clinic, we are partners with you throughout your pregnancy.
Regular prenatal visits with our obstetrics team in Jackson, MS, are important to monitor your health and your baby's health. The frequency of prenatal visits depends on how far along you are in the pregnancy and any known health conditions.
Contact Lakeland Premier Women's Clinic to schedule a prenatal checkup or your first prenatal appointment if you think you are pregnant.
About Prenatal Visits
Your first prenatal visit should be scheduled as soon as you think you are pregnant. As the pregnancy progresses, prenatal checkups will happen more regularly and may include special tests.
A typical schedule for prenatal checkups is:
- Between Weeks 4-28: You'll have an appointment once a month.
- Between Weeks 28-36: You'll start having appointments twice a month.
- After week 36: You'll have weekly appointments.
If your pregnancy is high-risk, which depends on factors like the patient's age, weight, and other health problems or concerns, your OB-GYN may recommend more frequent prenatal visits to closely monitor your pregnancy.
What to Expect During Your Prenatal Visit
During a prenatal checkup, your OB-GYN may:
- Get a urine sample
- Review medical history
- Check blood pressure, weight, and height
- Check stress level and lifestyle habits
- Perform blood tests
- Check the fetal heart rate
- Feel and measure the patient's abdomen
- Take a fetal ultrasound
- Answer any questions or concerns the patient has
Other tests may be done to test to detect signs of possible health problems including infection, birth defects, gestational diabetes, or fetal distress.